|Description||This chapter describes the dermoscopy criteria of Keratoacanthoma|
|Author(s)||Florentia Dimitriou · Theresa Deinlein · Iris Zalaudek|
|Responsible author||Iris Zalaudek → send e-mail|
|Status update||June 19, 2017|
|Status by||Ralph Braun|
Glossary:Keratoacanthoma, Glossary:Squamous cell carcinoma Cite:Keratoacanthoma Message:Keratoacanthoma Participate:Keratoacanthoma
Keratoacanthoma is a well-differentiated variant of Squamous cell carcinoma. Clinically, it is distinguished by its initial rapid growth followed by spontaneous involution over a period of a few months.
- White circles: White ring-like structures within the hair follicle
- Keratin mass: Centrally located, amorphous, yellow-white to light brown areas without any recognizable structure
- White structureless areas: Absence of any structure; they may be associated with large targetoid hair follicles
The central keratin plug is an architectural criterion for the diagnosis of keratoacanthoma also on the histopathological analysis and may be typically surrounded by elongated and sometimes thick telangiectasias.
Vascular architecture of Keratoacanthoma
- Hairpin vessels: Vascular Loops frequently twisted and bending, usually surrounded by whitish halo
- Linear-irregular vessels: Serpentine or branched Serpentine; irregularly shaped, sized and distributed red structures
- Glomerular (coiled) vessels: Larger than dotted vessels with convoluted morphology and often distributed in clusters
- An Atlas of Dermoscopy, Second Edition. Marghoob A. et al. CRC Press; 2012.
- Argenziano, G., Zalaudek, I., Corona, R., et al., 2004, Vascular structures in skin tumors: a dermoscopy study. Arch Dermatol, 140, 1485–9.
- Kittler, H., Riedl, E., Rosendahl, C. & Cameron, A., 2008, Dermatoscopy of unpigmented lesions of the skin: a new classification of vessel morphology based on pattern analysis. Dermatopathol Pract Conc, 14, 4.
- Kreusch, J. & Koch, F., 1996, Auflichtmikroskopische Charakterisierung von Gefassmustern in Hauttumoren. Hautarzt, 47, 264–72.
- Kreusch, J.F., 2002, Vascular patterns in skin tumors. Clin Dermatol, 20, 248–54.
- Mogensen, M. & Jemec, G.B., 2007, Diagnosis of nonmelanoma skin cancer/ keratinocyte carcinoma: a review of diagnostic accuracy of nonmelanoma skin cancer diagnostic tests and technologies. Dermatol Surg, 33, 1158–74.