|Description||This chapter describes the dermoscopyDermoscopy is a non invasive diagnostic method. criteriaThis glossary term has not yet been described. of KeratoacanthomaThis glossary term has not yet been described.|
|Author(s)||Florentia Dimitriou · Teresa Deinlein · Iris Zalaudek|
|Owner||Iris Zalaudek → send e-mail|
|Status update||June 19, 2017|
|Status by||Ralph P. Braun|
Keratoacanthoma is a well-differentiated variant of Squamous cell carcinomaThis glossary term has not yet been described.. Clinically, it is distinguished by its initial rapid growth followed by spontaneous involutionThis glossary term has not yet been described. over a period of a few months.
- White circles: White ring-like structures within the hair follicle
- Keratin mass: Centrally located, amorphous, yellow-white to light brown areas without any recognizable structure
- White structureless areas: Absence of any structure; they may be associated with large targetoid hair follicles
The central keratin plug is an architectural criterion for the diagnosisThis glossary term has not yet been described. of keratoacanthomaThis glossary term has not yet been described. also on the histopathological analysis and may be typically surrounded by elongated and sometimes thick telangiectasias.
Vascular architecture of Keratoacanthoma
- Hairpin vesselsThis glossary term has not yet been described.: Vascular Loops frequently twisted and bending, usually surrounded by whitish halo
- Linear-irregular vessels: Serpentine or branched Serpentine; irregularly shaped, sized and distributed red structures
- Glomerular (coiled) vessels: Larger than dotted vesselstiny pinpoint vessels flat melanocytic lesions inflammatory diseases Bowen disease with convoluted morphologyThis glossary term has not yet been described. and often distributed in clusters
- An Atlas of Dermoscopy, Second Edition. Marghoob A. et al. CRC Press; 2012.
- Argenziano, G., Zalaudek, I., Corona, R., et al., 2004, Vascular structuresThis glossary term has not yet been described. in skin tumors: a dermoscopy study. Arch Dermatol, 140, 1485–9.
- Kittler, H., Riedl, E., Rosendahl, C. & Cameron, A., 2008, DermatoscopyThis glossary term has not yet been described. of unpigmented lesions of the skinThis glossary term has not yet been described.: a new classificationThis glossary term has not yet been described. of vessel morphology based on pattern analysis. Dermatopathol Pract Conc, 14, 4.
- Kreusch, J. & Koch, F., 1996, Auflichtmikroskopische Charakterisierung von Gefassmustern in Hauttumoren. Hautarzt, 47, 264–72.
- Kreusch, J.F., 2002, Vascular patterns in skin tumors. Clin Dermatol, 20, 248–54.
- Mogensen, M. & Jemec, G.B., 2007, DiagnosisThis glossary term has not yet been described. of nonmelanoma skin cancer/ keratinocyte carcinoma: a review of diagnostic accuracy of nonmelanoma skin cancer diagnostic tests and technologies. Dermatol Surg, 33, 1158–74.