Actinic keratosis / Bowen's disease / keratoacanthoma / squamous cell carcinoma
This chapter covers keratinocytic tumors
It has the following subchapters:
Bowen's disease, Actinic keratosis, Keratoacanthoma, Squamous cell carcinoma Actinic keratosis / Bowen's disease / keratoacanthoma – cite! Actinic keratosis (message) Actinic keratosis / Bowen's disease / keratoacanthoma – participate!
Actinic (solar) keratosis (AK), Bowen’s disease (BD), keratoacanthoma (KA), and squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) comprise the spectrum of premalignant and malignant keratinizing tumors. In contrast to the well-defined dermoscopic criteria of pigmented tumors, the dermoscopic features of these, mostly non-pigmented keratinizing tumors, are less well established. Most of the described dermoscopic patterns are based on case series. The dermoscopic diagnosis of these tumors is mainly based on the assessment of vascular patterns. The architectural arrangement and distribution of the vessels within the lesion and the correlation with the clinical assessment (e.g. texture, firmness) may provide improved specificity. Other associated, but nonspecific features are erythema, scale, erosion or keratin. Since their diagnosis is mostly based on the ability to visualize blood vessels under dermoscopy, the use of polarized light dermoscopy instruments is preferred as it seems to provide the best method to visualize vascular structures. In addition, using a viscous immersion medium, such as ultrasound gel, when applying contact dermoscopy, will allow for better visualization of the vascular structures as it eliminates the effect of pressure-induced compression of blood vessels.
- An Atlas of Dermoscopy, Second Edition. Marghoob A. et al. CRC Press; 2012.
- Argenziano, G., Zalaudek, I., Corona, R., et al., 2004, Vascular structures in skin tumors: a dermoscopy study. Arch Dermatol, 140, 1485–9.
- Bauer, J., Leinweber, B., Metzler, G., et al., 2006, Correlation with digital dermo- scopic images can help dermatopathologists to diagnose equivocal skin tumours. Br J Dermatol, 155, 546–51.
- Bugatti, L., Filosa, G. & De Angelis, R., 2004, Dermoscopic observation of Bowen’s disease. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol, 18, 572–4.
- Bugatti, L., Filosa, G. & De Angelis, R., 2007, The specific dermoscopical criteria of Bowen’s disease. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol, 21, 700–1.
- Cuellar, F., Vilalta, A., Puig, S., et al., 2009, New dermoscopic pattern in actinic keratosis and related conditions. Arch Dermatol, 145, 732.
- Felder S., Rabinovitz H., Oliviero M., Kopf A., 2006, Dermoscopic differentiation of a superficial basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma in situ. Dermatol Surg, 32, 423–5.
- Kittler, H., Riedl, E., Rosendahl, C. & Cameron, A., 2008, Dermatoscopy of unpig- mented lesions of the skin: a new classification of vessel morphology based on pattern analysis. Dermatopathol Pract Conc, 14, 4.
- Kreusch, J. & Koch, F., 1996, Auflichtmikroskopische Charakterisierung von Gefass- mustern in Hauttumoren. Hautarzt, 47, 264–72.
- Kreusch, J. & Rassner, G., 1990, Structural analysis of melanocytic pigment nevi using epiluminescence microscopy. Review and personal experiences. Hautarzt, 41, 27–33.
- Kreusch, J.F., 2002, Vascular patterns in skin tumors. Clin Dermatol, 20, 248–54.
- Mogensen, M. & Jemec, G.B., 2007, Diagnosis of nonmelanoma skin cancer/ keratinocyte carcinoma: a review of diagnostic accuracy of nonmelanoma skin cancer diagnostic tests and technologies. Dermatol Surg, 33, 1158–74.
- Pan Y., Chamberlain AJ., Bailey M., et al., 2008, Dermatoscopy aids in the diagnosis of the solitary red scaly patch or plaque-features distinguishing superficial basal cell carcinoma, intraepidermal carcinoma, and psoriasis. J Am Acad Dermatol,59, 268–274.
- Peris, K., Micantonio, T., Piccolo, D. & Concetta, M., 2007a, Dermoscopic features of actinic keratosis. J Dtsch Dermatol Ges, 5, 970–6.
- Pock, L., Drlik, L. & Hercogova, J., 2007, Dermatoscopy of pigmented actinic keratosis - A striking similarity to lentigo maligna. Int J Dermatol, 46, 414–16.
- Schiffner, R., Schiffner-Rohe, J., Vogt, T., et al., 2000, Improvement of early recognition of lentigo maligna using dermatoscopy. J Am Acad Dermatol, 42, 25–32.
- Stante, M., De Giorgi, V., Massi, D., Chiarugi, A. & Carli, P., 2004, Pigmented Bowen’s disease mimicking cutaneous melanoma: clinical and dermoscopic aspects. Dermatol Surg, 30, 541–4.
- Stolz, W., Schiffner, R. & Burgdorf, W.H., 2002, Dermatoscopy for facial pigmented skin lesions. Clin Dermatol, 20, 276–8.
- Zalaudek, I. & Argenziano, G., 2004, Glomerular vessels in Bowen’s disease. Br J Dermatol, 151, 720.
- Zalaudek, I., Giacomel, J., Argenziano, G., et al., 2006b, Dermoscopy of facial nonpigmented actinic keratosis. Br J Dermatol, 155, 951–6.
- Zalaudek, I., Giacomel, J., Schmid, K., et al., 2012, Dermatoscopy of facial actinic keratosis, intraepidermal carcinoma, and invasive squamous cell carcinoma: a pro- gression model. J Am Acad Dermatol, 66, 589–97.